Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Glass pinching and other hobbies...

English, as you may know or suspect, is not my native language. I've been using this language for some years now, but I'm still rubbish at it, most of the time, at least. My native language is Spanish and partly due to the fact that I have used English too often for the last three years, I am rubbish at it too(well, I'm blaming the fact that I live in England, but the truth is that I need to blame my High School Philosophy teacher for that, but that's a totally different story and I'll tell you about how he saved me another time(or never)).

Originally I am lucky enough to have grown up in the most beautiful part of Spain. Ok, I should clarify I grew up in a desertic flat patch of the most beautiful part of Spain. But what I want to talk about today is not the landscape, brownish from the terrain, with some yellow and dark green coming from the wheat plants and olive trees, but I want to talk about the language and the special, wonderful things the inhabitants of Andalucia do with it when they speak. There are lots of original expressions that I find amusing, even though I have heard them since I was little, that are very peculiar and that I have great fun translating into English with a proper meaningful translation and I wanted to list them here, just for my own amusement and maybe yours.

  • ¿eres tonto o le pegas pellizcos a los cristales? Are you dumb or do you pinch glasses?
  • Ninguna es fea por donde mea. No woman is ugly where they pee.
  • En tiempo de guerra, todo agujero es trinchera. During wartime, every hole is a trench (although I've been told that "Every hole is a goal" is the English equivalent).
  • Hace más calor que follando en verano en un soberao debajo de un plástico. It's warmer than summer shagging under a plastic in a loft.
  • No ni na. Yes
Well, that's quite a short list but those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head I will be adding more in future posts.

No comments: