Tuesday, December 27, 2011

On a zombie apocalypse and how to survie it... (part 1)

Yes, it's Christmas and it's supposed to be a time of peace and love, but well, I've been getting up to date with The Walking Dead tv series. That has derived in myself, as any reasonable person would do, considering how the zombie apocalypse would occur around here and how I could survive it. Long story short, if I'm in Spain, I can do a good job. If this happens in the UK, I'm screwed. I don't even think they've ever heard of the concept of "window bars" or "solid doors".

If I elaborate a bit more, the fact is that, just by default, pretty much any traditional small town house in Spain, or at least in the south which is where I am familiar with, is zombie proof. We have massively solid doors, which are open the whole day and only closed at night as we have what we call Zaguán, a kind of small room traditionally with some azulejo(painted ceramic tiled work) and only then we have the kind of doors that you can find as front door in the UK. That second set of doors is not everywhere, but most of the houses have those. So, my point being that you can just close the real door and it's pretty much zombie proof. As for the windows, we have window bars, so, that's also covered. Hence, by definition, we are zombie proof as well as masked serial killer proof too. In the UK, well, doors and windows are easily broken so zombies, who happen not to worry about neighbours or police noticing them breaking in, would not have a problem. The same argument is valid for garden fences, those in the UK may keep foxes or dogs out of your garden but if you wanted to, you could kick them down. In my hometown, it's all a solid wall and if it happens to be a thin one or a not very tall one that you could jump over, it's usually topped with some cement and broken glass icing, that may not work for zombies, but walls tend to be resistant. We would be safer by default. Of course, if you happen to be trapped in a zombie infested house, getting out of there is harder in a Spanish one.

Weaponry, some may argue, would be our weakest point as Europe is kind of civilized and we ain't no cowboys around here. But hey, at least in rural towns, I'd say that 5 out of ten male adults hunt. We may not have big rifles, though as, at least around my home-town, we don't have any deer to hunt so the only kind of hunting they do(I've never actually been near a any kind of gun other than those that policemen carry) is quail hunting. But I guess that from a short distance those guns could open up a zombie head. And it's coming to short distances where all the tools people tend to have at home for gardening can be used for zombie head breaking. I guess British gardeners would have the same kind of tools, so we are even on that point, although that would only be useful in a one on one or maybe against a couple of zombies as you may find in a Spanish house. The problem with trying to clean a zombie infested British house is that the noises would alert the other zombies around and given the openness of the British ones, well, you're screwed.

Also, I visited a medieval castle(or well, a reconstructed very old one) in Cordoba. And my brother and I had some fun planning how to survive zombies in there. Also, they had a kind of collection of swords and I found what would be my chosen zombie killing weapon, a Spanish alfanje. Although the one they had there looked more or less like this one


My house is particularly well positioned as we have a big supermarket and a food store building next to it. And we have a well(although I'm not sure that water is drinkable). So, yay! I guess I could manage to resist the first outbreak and then slowly gain terrain cleaning house by house. The fact that we would not be the only survivors is a real possibility of course as pretty much every house around here has the same kind of default zombie proofness. But that, maybe, will be part 2 of my thoughts on a Zombie apocalypse.

If you happen to be curious about how a story would set in this part of the globe, there is already a trilogy set in the south of Spain. It is also masterfully written by Carlos Sisi and you are lucky because you can find the first book already translated in English: The Wanderers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty sword.

ghiret said...

I like it a lot. And it's pirate-like :P

Although I'd get a two handed one too just to be on the safe side. :)