Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Functional English speaker

Some days I feel quite optimistic about my English, I mean that I feel like I have a good grasp of it, beyond the fact that it has certainly improved by a couple of orders of magnitude(in an arbitrary scale defined as one that would match my improvement as equivalent to a couple of orders of magnitude :P) since I arrived here nearly three years ago. But then, I go back to my native language and I find things like this:



Sabina is a master of language, the depth and beauty of his lyrics are far beyond anything I can dream of putting down into words, no matter how intense my feelings may be, I will simply not be able to tame sentences in anything that may even have a hint of his craft. But that's fine, I also know that I won't be able to run a sub 2:30 marathon(although I may give that one a go :) )(and yes, note that sub 3, which is tremendously hard, I have not ruled out :) ). Actually what I wanted to say is not how good he is and how much I lack his skill but that I still haven't found a similar thing in English, which I am sure exists(I believe there was a guy called William something who was good at it...), it's just my English is not that good and I believe it to be far from it. I am at the point where stand-up comedy is funny, but I guess that's mainly because I have a cultural background more than because of the lyrical skills displayed by comedians(other than his masterful mind Tim Minchin!)




So, I guess I have just achieved a practical level of English but I am far from mastering it. I guess it will take to read many more books and possibly many years.

PS: I have the feeling that I suffer from premature posting, I mean, I have what seems like a good idea about what I want to write and the message I want it to convey, then, all the energy goes away with the first paragraph and I end up feeling like I didn't perform well and the rest is just a bigger piece of shit than the first one. But I guess I'm not up for saving it and rewriting it sometime later. :S

No comments: